Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
Position Title :
Principal Engineer Project Planning
Reports To :
Manager of Project Controls, Gasification Project Execution Unit
Gasification Project Execution Unit
Shanghai / Project Site
To develop, maintain and update the project schedule; track, monitor and report project progress; prepare and issue all kinds of project progress reports; provide timely, efficient and strong support to project with regard to progress management so as to ensure the project can be successfully executed.
Nature and Scope
The Job Holder is the Principal Engineer of Project Planning in Project Controls Team of Gasification Project Execution Unit and reports directly to Manager of Project Controls. The Job Holder shall support Project Execution, Engineering and Procurement Teams to ensure successful execution of all kinds of projects.
The Job Holder not only provides planning & scheduling services to large-scale projects with asset values in the order of $500MM – 3,000MM but also gets involved in developing and bidding for new projects. The Job Holder’s responsibilities also include providing guidance, developing project specific procedures as required and delivering project planning execution plan / strategy as per Air Products Standards to suit the project execution strategy and needs from both internal and external aspect.
The Job Holder shall ensure accurate and timely reporting input to the project and work within the project applicable Engineering Procedures, Work Instructions and process workflow. The compliance with Air Products’ all Policies, Procedures, Work Instructions and other requirements are mandatory.
The Job Holder shall fulfill the requirements of the position and must develop collaborative working relationships with Gasification Project Execution Unit team members, along strong business leadership with all internal functions. The Job Holder needs to work under the instructions of Manager of Project Controls, but he/she may also get instructions from project manager.
· Develop, maintain and update all kinds of project schedules during all project phases, including biding phrase, project award phase and project execution phase.
· Develop all kinds of project progress reports in line with the requirements of Air Products standards or procedures, including weekly report, monthly report and any other special reports requested by project or function manager.
· Provide details on progress, actuals forecast and explanation of variances.
· Prepare the progress measurement systems and reporting tools, including resource histograms and S curves.
· Ensure that project controls processes are consistently applied across the project.
· Be responsible for progress variance analysis and risk management.
· Be capable of managing internal/external customer projects including EPs / EPCs, both within the office and construction site.
· Use Air Products planning IT systems and functional discipline work processes to provide reliable and consistent reporting to ensure that we can meet the project, regional/global project portfolio and business requirements.
· Collaborate with Project Execution team to develop and deliver competitive project schedules aligned to the execution scope and strategy during the bid phase through award and execution, ensuring the growth of Air Products businesses whilst consistently delivering on project commitments in terms of cost and schedule.
· Develop and maintain accurate progress & earned value measurement systems for engineering, procurement, manufacturing, construction and commissioning to ensure credible control throughout the project execution phase.
· Help maintain and improve the capabilities of the regional team to ensure that we can support the business needs across the broad portfolio of offerings.
· Provide close collaboration with and support across the other regional and global teams to ensure effective resource sharing, lessons learned, best practices and the development of appropriate work processes and procedures across the global execution teams.
· Any other duties as assigned.
Possession of solid scheduling & planning skills and knowledge. Sound knowledge, proven skills and competencies in application of project planning principle, methodologies and tools.
Minimum 10 years project scheduling & planning experience. Must have a track record of delivering accurate schedule information, reporting and guidance to senior Management.
Experience of a coal gasification, Oil & Gas, Chemical processing or related business and equivalent projects is required.
Primavera P6 and Microsoft Project experience is essential, including using monte carlo and schedule analysis software.
Global project planning experience.
Proven skills and experience of planning of project on global basis, executed by multiple engineering offices.
Experience in multination / international company or overseas project is preferred.
Understanding of a variety of project types, structures and contract terms. This includes sale of gas (SOG) , third party sale of equipment (SOE) and joint ventures.
Accept project assignment and working in different location.
Be fluent in both spoken and written in English.
Be a good team player.
Determined, adaptable and resilient. Able to achieve success under significant pressure, evolving requirements and conflicting priorities.
Culturally astute. Experience and ability to work with different cultures associated with multi-region project execution, and to therefore achieve success with a multi-cultural team. Experience of customer and external stakeholder regional cultures, and ability to achieve success with those cultures.
Relationship network. Established and proven relationships to apply leverage to execute the project.
Core competencies. Commercial and technical acumen, detailed working knowledge of project planning tools and systems. Proven skills is planning coupled with a working knowledge of project management, business development and finance.